Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default soffit vents above windows

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 10:23:56 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 11:40:31 AM UTC-5, Sam Hill wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 16:14:02 +0000, Clint wrote:

replying to Janet, Clint wrote:
I do not install soffit vents above any window. If the house catches
fire one of the first things the firefighters do is break out the
windows. If there is shooting flames coming out the window the whole
from the soffit vent allows the flame to reach the attic immediately.
Catching fire to the attic.

Do you really think Janet is still waiting after *THIRTEEN YEARS* for your
advice? Why can't you HomeMoaners posters read *dates*?

"the whole from the soffit vent" ? The whole what?

Not to mention that reason for not installing soffit vents above
windows is, IMO, pretty lame. If the house is compromised to the
point that flames high enough to reach the soffit are coming out
the windows, I doubt it's going to make much difference. And that
whole scenario is a 6 sigma event in my world. Around here they
use continuous soffit vents, it passes code, no problems. That's
what I have on my house.

When I had my roof replaced I went from gable end inlet vents and box vents
on the roof to continuous soffit inlet vents and a continuous ridge vent. I
blocked the gable end vents and added foam baffles from the soffits to
above the insulation. (That is a really sucky job in mid-summer. It's
no wonder my roofer quoted me a ridiculous price to do it.)

I agree with the 6 sigma reference. I'm not going make my attic venting less
efficient on the chance that a black swan might fly by.