Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Humidity measurement

I have several thermometer cum weather prediction (barometer) cum
humidistats dotted around the place.

I did fancy something more accurate as the readings all seem suspiciously
low (but then they are indoors).

Just taken the most long term reliable one outside to check. It was
showing 30% humidity indoors and outside it has already dropped to 28%.

Meanwhile the Met Office local forecast is showing around 80% which seems
quite high; I would expect it to be nearly turning misty if the air was
that saturated. Probably wrong of me, though.

I looked on Amazon (as you do) and there are some nice big gauges but the
reviews say they are accurate because they agree with the readings on
their digital thermometers.

Are these humidity levels reasonable?

If not, can someone recommend an accurate humidity meter which is not
horrendously expensive?

If I look up average humidity for March and get, for example:

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/United-Kingdom/humidity-march.php

this again shows highs around 90 and lows around 70.

These are measurements of relative humidity (so water condenses out of the
air at 100%); is there a different measurement type?

All very puzzling as I would expect the weather to be reasonably heavy and
clammy at 90% humidity, although the same amount of water in the air at
10C outside and 20C inside would give quite a different relative humidity.

Whatever, the humidistat outside has still only got up to 33%. I shall
leave it for an hour and see what is changes to.

Cheers

Dave R

---