Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Snooping TV.

tim... wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
So first, you'd need to download and install special software to
the TV to
get the LEDs to show what you want?

The TV downloads updates regularly. You'd just have to fool it into

Going to be a pretty major hack, I'd say. Have 'they' really got
programmers writing this new software for every single telly on the
market?

surprisingly,

yes this is exactly what the techs in the spooks department spend their
time doing

it's the easy part

the hard part is, as has been said, getting it onto a remote TV which
can be anything from not that difficult to extremely bloody difficult,
depending upon what levels of authentication the manufacture of the TV
uses for OTA updates.

(I suspect that they aren't going to persuade too many people to stick a
dodgy USB stick into their TV, which is how they will test their
programs in their lab)

tim

Surely it's very easy with an OTA update? No need to go near the LAN
until installed.
Incidentally, does any piece of modern equipment work correctly when
first installed?