Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_11_] Graham.[_11_] is offline

Default Sort out my friend's lousy shower

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 14:09:34 +0000, dennis@home
wrote:

On 10/03/2017 11:56, AnthonyL wrote:
Since 1992 my friend has had an impossible to control shower which
drives his family (daughter especially) and visitors mad.

It is difficult to believe that given the installation no improvements
were suggested when the Greenstar 28i Junior was installed 7 years
ago.

The shower is on the first floor. The tap is one of those old
fashioned two-into-one with a plunger to change the destination from
down into the bath to up to the shower head.

The hot water is fed at mains pressure, the cold is from a header tank
in the attic directly above, which by my calculations means that cold
water will never make it to the shower head.

On my visit last week I suggested that we simply turn the hot water
temperature down - but no, unlike my (older) boiler there is no
separate control, despite no mention of this in the (on-line) manual.

The guy who posted this:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3584437

seems to have the exact same issue.

My immediate thought is to take a feed from the inlet of the header
tank and connect to the bath's cold water, giving it mains pressure.

Any thoughts?

Buy a new pressure balancing mixer?
Fit a PRV on the cold side?
Fit a pump and PRV?
Go pressurised hot water.

PRV is cheapest if they get enough flow from the hot.

He said the hot water is pressurised so I assume it's from a
combination boiler.
It's the cold that's still via a header tank, so isn't the solution to
connect the shower cold feed to the rising main, along with everything
else, and decommission the tank and cash in the old redundant cylinder
that's presumably still there?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%