Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sort out my friend's lousy shower

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
Since 1992 my friend has had an impossible to control shower which
drives his family (daughter especially) and visitors mad.

It is difficult to believe that given the installation no improvements
were suggested when the Greenstar 28i Junior was installed 7 years
ago.

The shower is on the first floor. The tap is one of those old
fashioned two-into-one with a plunger to change the destination from
down into the bath to up to the shower head.

The hot water is fed at mains pressure, the cold is from a header tank
in the attic directly above, which by my calculations means that cold
water will never make it to the shower head.

On my visit last week I suggested that we simply turn the hot water
temperature down - but no, unlike my (older) boiler there is no
separate control, despite no mention of this in the (on-line) manual.

The guy who posted this:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3584437

seems to have the exact same issue.

My immediate thought is to take a feed from the inlet of the header
tank and connect to the bath's cold water, giving it mains pressure.

Any thoughts?

As a matter of interest, how does the flow of hot and cold compare into
the bath?

Low pressure water from a header tank requires special fittings to have a
chance of working reasonably well, but most fittings on the market are
made abroad, and designed for high pressure. And even then expect
reasonably matched pressure from hot and cold.

One way round would be to fit a pump on the cold water side.

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.