Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cleaning solution

"Mikie" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 11:38:13 -0800 (PST), rangerssuck
wrote:

I just pulled a piece of aluminum out of my scrap stock bucket that
was particularly filthy. Dried up oil & dirt.

Sitting on my desk is a bottle of stuff that I mixed up to unclog an
inkjet printer. I figured what the hell, it's better than nothing,
and gave it a try. It worked great, and I'm thinking this could be
my new go-to every day cleaner. It's super cheap to make:

1 part household ammonia
1 part 91% isopropyl alcohol
3 parts distilled water

Just thought I'd share.

A another main problem is how to get this to the actual print head.
Some can be removed and others can not.

As a last attempt I have used 100psi air - the bad outcome was
predictable. It is hell to use an ink jet for color printing!

The prototype color ink jet printer I worked on in the 1980's had an
undocumented purge command that sprayed a stream of ink about 3' with
compressed air. We used it to make custom tee shirts.

The mess that built up around test stations inspired one of the
engineers to invent a 3D printer. Our printer could do low-relief 3D
on paper, such as Braille and wedding invitations, but the molten
plastic ink hardened too brittle to make useful items.

-jsw