Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's likely to be wrong with this car?

In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
On the basis of advice, I disconnected the battery five days ago
(Sunday), charged it up, and left it disconnected. This morning
(Thursday) I reconnected it; the engine started immediately without
issue (and the same for multiple subsequent starts).

The battery reads about 12.3v while connected and the same disconnected.
At idle, it reads just about 14.3v.

I couldn't read anything between the battery earth and the chassis.

So it sounds to me that the battery is fine.

What do you suggest for the next step in the investigation?

As was said, check the voltage at the battery with the engine at a fast
idle and the headlights on main beam, heater and heated rear window on.

Anything less than about 13.5v probably means it's not charging properly.

If that is OK, you need to measure what current is being taken from the
battery with the engine stopped and everything switched off. That should
be something like 50 mA maximum.

But many DVMs will blow their fuse or worse if used for this.

--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.