Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nuclear energy production costs

On 09/03/17 09:30, Nick wrote:
On 08/03/2017 23:07, newshound wrote:

If you are saying, see if you can build prototypes successfully at the
10 to 100 MW level, I have no problem with that. They might turn out to
be scaleable, or an option as an SMR. There are, however, some people
who claim they are immediate alternatives to the modern, licensed
systems. I don't believe it.

I was making a comparison between Fusion and Fission reactors as a
potential long term clean solution to our energy needs.

Governments fund fusion research with things like ITER my idle pondering
was that it might be good to have international projects like this for
sustainable fission energy research of which the MSR is one potential
variety.

All major fusion research is international.

I'm very disappointed to see the guaranteed energy cost of Hinkley C,
and other low carbon projects. I suspect that nuclear could be much
cheaper and would have been if governments had had the foresight to
continue research from the end of the 70's

I was not suggesting replacing Hinkley C with a MSR just promoting
research into cheap fission breeder solutions.

Nothing is cheap when ,massive amounts of bureaucracy planning
permission Elfin Safety and so on is slapped on top.

Nuclear isn't expensive because of the technology, but because of the
bureaucracy.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels