Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Thermal pad disintegrating

wrote:

"** Thin mica (0.05mm) is still the best performing insulator material
for semiconductors you can get at a sensible price AND will easily
handle 200V or more. Just a smear of white, silicone grease on each
side and you are there. "

Actually it should not be smeared.

** Smear = thin layer applied to each side.

Just a dab will do you,

** It's not bloody Brylcreem !!!

"If the power per device is high (ie over 20 watts) then forget
silicone pads. "

Well my Phase Linear 400-2 seems to get along with them quite well.

** Yawnnnnn.....

Use that amp in a PA system and it will blow up.

I have a PL400 mk2 here, with all the pink pads replaced with mica.

The TO3 devices run about 25 degrees cooler because of the change.

"Forget published specs too, pad makers lie. "

They all lie.

** Not all.

The big lies are from makers of sil pads and TO220 high current mosfets.

Oh, and loudspeaker makers with fake power handling specs.

..... Phil