Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Cleaning solution

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 4:20:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 2:38:15 PM UTC-5, rangerssuck wrote:
I just pulled a piece of aluminum out of my scrap stock bucket that was particularly filthy. Dried up oil & dirt.

1 part household ammonia
1 part 91% isopropyl alcohol
3 parts distilled water

Just thought I'd share.

Should work well. Water is the most universal solvent and ammonia is the second most universal solvent.

Isopropyl alcohol is the solvent I turn to when water does not work. But woul make two suggestions. I would use plain tap water. And would add a dash of Dawn detergent.

Dan

I used distilled water because I already had it, and all the printer unclogging web sites say to use it. Those nozzles are really tiny, and perhaps the distilled water works better just because it has fewer (hopefully none) particulates. If I was mixing a quart for a spray bottle, it would be tap water for sure.

The household ammonia seems to have at least some detergent built in. It certainly foams a bit when you shake its container.