Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Cleaning solution

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 9:29:14 PM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 2:38:15 PM UTC-5, rangerssuck wrote:
I just pulled a piece of aluminum out of my scrap stock bucket that
was particularly filthy. Dried up oil & dirt.

Sitting on my desk is a bottle of stuff that I mixed up to unclog an
inkjet printer. I figured what the hell, it's better than nothing,
and gave it a try. It worked great, and I'm thinking this could be
my new go-to every day cleaner. It's super cheap to make:

1 part household ammonia
1 part 91% isopropyl alcohol
3 parts distilled water

Just thought I'd share.

Just don't let the ammonia sit on aluminum for long periods of time.
Rinse it off. It's alkaline and it will eat aluminum.

--
Ed Huntress
=========

-jsw

I don't think the ammonia is sitting on the AL long enough to do any damage - it's not discoloring, and just wiping it off leaves no discernible odor. I suppose a quick water rinse would be easy enough.

Season cracking, huh. That just shows what happens when you let your lazy soldiers take days off for inclement weather. Ties in well with Iggy's mail problem, though. Neither rain nor sleet...