Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default OT - No Car Choice

On 07/03/2017 10:08, wrote:
On Tuesday, 7 March 2017 08:46:19 UTC, RJH wrote:
On 05/03/2017 17:16, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 5 March 2017 15:13:13 UTC, Another John wrote:
In article ,
"tim..." wrote:

"TheChief" wrote in message
news Hi all

I have been looking at cars today with a view to replacing my
aging Focus.
I have found that the vast majority of mid range cars are that
spawn of Satan known as diesels.

I've just had a thought are you talking about 2nd hand?

well there's a reason for there being an excess of diesels on the market
it's the same one that's causing you not to want to buy one.

Quite. It was on 25th February that Transport Minister Chris Grayling
said:

"People should take a long, hard think about what they need, about where
theyıre going to be driving, and should make best endeavours to buy the
least polluting vehicle they can.
I donıt think diesel is going to disappear but someone who is buying a
car to drive around a busy city may think about buying a low-emission
vehicle rather than a diesel."

That's what he said (apparently). But it was *universally* headlined in
the media, including the now-tabloid BBC outlets, as "Think twice before
buying a diesel, Transport Minister warns"

Thus, at one stroke, ****ing up the car market for millions of diesel
owners.

(As you might guess) I have recently bought a diesel (63-reg Skoda Yeti
--- for the OP 'The Chief': it's damn' good might I add). It's a 2.0l
TDI, 110bhp.

After a lifetime of avoiding diesel because I don't like the noise, and
I like even less the stink, of exhaust and fuel alike.

However I bought this one precisely because of the gist of this thread:
diesels are very hard indeed to avoid. "And anyway: they're much, much
better than they ever were," to quote owners, manufacturers, and dealers
for the last decade or so.

But now Grayling wades in, with his size 14s. There has *never been a
mention* of making allowances for modern engines, with their particulate
filters, and their engine management, in contrast to the guy at the end
of our street who has been driving a clapped out transit since about
1992.

I would suggest that by far the vast bulk of diesel pollution in London
(which is where this all kicked off, of course) is caused by the
thousands of clapped out vehicles that are still driving around (or
sitting around, engines running).

If Chris Grayling wants to do something serious about car pollution, he
should *very forcefully* tighten up the MOT, *and all its testers*.

Diesel John

Afaik vehicle pollution isn't killing people here - it may be a different story in the developing world, but not here. So the best vehicles pollution-wise in the UK are the high mpg achieving ones, which generally means diesel. Having driven modern diesels they're great, I'd choose them over petrols any time.

Do you have a source for that information? I thought in the UK's cities
it's a problem, *causing* many thousands of premature deaths:

https://www.london.gov.uk/WHAT-WE-DO...llution-london

Has there been a recent counter to that study (and many like it)?

The government of course is as lost as usual.

They know exactly what they're doing.

What happens in London is not what happens in the rest of the country.

Vehicle pollution happens in every UK urban area.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35629034

--
Cheers, Rob