Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Removing corroded mounting plate for robe hook in tile shower

On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 1:14:08 PM UTC-5, dzeleznik wrote:
replying to DerbyDad03, dzeleznik wrote:
Great suggestion on the painters tool! Most of the corroded metal plate just
broke apart and came off with liberal use of one. That coupled with a dremel
metal cutoff disc around the screws and everything is removed flush down to
the bare tile, which does not look damaged at all. I am going to leave the
remnants of the existing bolts in place until I have a new robe hook to mount
in its place. It looks like silicone sealant was used around the bolts. If the
new mounting hardware can reuse the existing holes, then I will drill them
out. Otherwise, I will leave them be, reseal them, and drill new holes for the
replacement hardware.

All in all it only took me 15-20 minutes to remove what I thought was an
impossible situation. Must say I am pretty pleased with myself and DW is
impressed. Now to get the shopvac and cleanup the mess before things turn sour
on that front. Thanks everyone that chimed in with great suggestions, much
appreciated!

I'm glad it worked out for you.

If you have to drill new holes in the tile, may I suggest that you use a utility knife or
other sharp tool to remove the glaze where you want to drill. Once the glaze is removed
and you are down to the innards of the tile, the bit will not slide around and it will be
easier to get it to bite.

Lots of youtube videos out there related to drill through various types of tile.

Good luck!