Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default A useful addition to your toolkit

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 09:11:34 -0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

I used to like using a Tek Hall sensor probe. I liked it checking DC shorts
on boards.
Greg

Yes, but have you seen the prices?
http://www.tek.com/current-probe
The cheapest model that does DC is $1,600.

I rolled my own. I took an old Honeywell SS495A Hall effect sensor,
built a suitable amplifier, hot melt glued it to a piece of plastic,
and calibrated it by shoving DC through various PCB traces. It's
ugly, not very sensitive (3mv/gauss or 30uV/uT), and goes nuts near
magnetic fields from xformers, inductors, steel mounting brackets,
wall warts, etc. However, it's cheap and easy. I don't use it for
troubleshooting very often.

The original suggestion sounds much like an RF current probe.
http://www.lowfer.us/k0lr/currprob/currprob.htm
https://interferencetechnology.com/the-hf-current-probe-theory-and-application/
However, these cannot be used to measure current though a PCB trace.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D