Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Work Clothes

On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 08:11:14 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Mar 2017 15:05:58 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Mar 2017 05:19:11 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 07:28:43 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 07:09:29 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
I saw this on Gizmag this morning and thought it fit. Some of us are
hard on clothing in the shop or work. Others are them that gol durn
biker dudes. (Hi, Snag) Anyway, Got Dyneema?

http://newatlas.com/saint-motorcycle...-review/46201/

Thanks for the tip Larry , but I don't spend 600 bucks on clothes in 10
years ... and anyway I have a pretty nice ser of leathers .

At such a cheap price, I'm surprised you're not rushing out to buy a
set for every day of the week, or at least one pair for Sunday.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass, too. Surely, though, we'll see
them on every dentist on his Harley every weekend.

Dyneema is what some of the toughest ropes and lines on high end
sailboats are made from. On many boats..its being used to do the
jobs steel cable used to do. Sheets, halyards, centerboard hoists etc.
Fascinating to see it being used in this fashion. That was some very
good application usage thinking outside of the box. That stuff has a
higher strength rating than steel cable.

So, how many pairs can we put you down for...at "only" $600/pr?

Perhaps I might consider a pair, after all three of my leather riding
pants finally get torn up beyond repair. But by that time, Ill
probably be too freaking old to toss a leg over a scooter. Then I
might have to consider a pair of shorts with Dyneema in the ass end so
the wheel chair seat doesnt wear out my seat.

Har!

I should mention I dont use Dyneema on any of the sail boats either. I
use Spectra, which is about 1/4 the price and does the job well
enough. Though to be fair...I might buy some 5/16" and replace the
stainless steel cables that lift and lower my centerboards on my
trailer sailers, simply because it wont wear out the spools on the
winches.

Spectra's good, rugged stuff, Maynard.

If you do buy stainless cable, buy a 100' hank. Much cheaper that
way. (Often cheaper to buy 100 than 50. When affordable, that is.)

Btw....got my Balboa 23/Aquarius 23, home Saturday, after chasing it
for the past 6 months. 3 hour round trip, 140 miles round trip.
"Free" boat that I believe Im going to keep.

Ten or fewer gallons of gas is $25, plus half a day, so you're not
out much at all. Cool.

Did you get my email yesterday?

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.