Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default eliminating a 3 way switch and adding a light fixture

On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 9:59:31 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 10:33:08 PM UTC-5, Ken Hockenberry wrote:
In the basement staircase of my older home (inside my attached garage) I want to eliminate a 3 way switch at the end of a circuit, and install a light fixture near the switch I want to remove - at the bottom of this staircase.

When I removed the cover from this switch I found 4 blue wires, one of them marked with black tape. The 3 way switch itself is very old (circa 1959) with four brass screws, two at the top and two at the bottom.

Can I eliminate this switch, and install a needed light fixture, using these 4 blue wires from this switch?

The switch at the top of the steps is the switch which has power coming into it.

electric codes often require a switch at both top of steps and bottom for safety.

I think you have a good point there, that code probably requires
that a light for the stairway be controllable from both the top
and bottom. But then he said:

"There are light fixtures on the garage ceiling - which are controlled by these two switches. "

So, do those lights serve to illuminate the stairs? IDK, but given
the switch locations, maybe they do.

your project may cause home inspection issues at home sale time in the future. then if your selling you will be REQUIRED to have a registered electrician change it back..... costly

Where is that rule or law written? Around here, if someone squawks
about something, I can legally do the work myself if I choose
or tell the seller to take a hike. And the inspection reports for
sales I've been involved in didn't say who has to do the work,
only that "x" should be fixed.

just run a new line and save yourselves tons of problems

If those lights serve to illuminate the stairs, then I agree.