Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default laminate floor on slightly uneven slanting floor.

On 07/03/17 13:13, Nick wrote:
I'm looking to lay some laminate boards on a concrete floor. The floor
has some minor deviations from a straight line of approximately max
deviation of 3mm over 2.4m. This is just beyond recommended tolerances
for the laminate.

Now on the internet a see that self levelling concrete (SLC) is
recommended. However the floor is on a slight slope ~25mm over 2.7m
width or the room, the slope is relatively constant/ i.e. in a straight
line.

I'm not sure but I think using SLC means I would need to get rid of the
slope as well as the relatively minor bumps and dips from linear.

The room is a study so I don't really care about the slope I just want
the laminate to not creak and last a while. Is there a way to get rid of
the minor deviations without tackling the slope?

I think I will probably move out in a year or two, would it be easiest
to just lay the laminate as is?

The usual way is to start the job with a 6' straight edge and a big pile
of 1mm and 2mm card from an art shop. Cut card and pack any local voids.
I've done this, twice and it's been fine for many years, both times. Bit
fiddly, but in some ways easier and cheaper.

Check manufacturer's data for permissible variations in flatness (not
level) over any given length.