Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Work Clothes

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 10:49:37 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 11:11:52 AM UTC-5, Gunner Asch wrote:

I should mention I dont use Dyneema on any of the sail boats either. I
use Spectra, which is about 1/4 the price and does the job well
enough. Though to be fair...I might buy some 5/16" and replace the
stainless steel cables that lift and lower my centerboards on my
trailer sailers, simply because it wont wear out the spools on the
winches.

Gunner

Spectra and Dyneema are almost the same. Spectra is made by 3M and Dyneema by a Dutch compang. But they are both UHMW polyethylene made by different processes.

Dan

True. But one is stronger than the other. Spectra has been around a
long time. I have a pair of Kelty backpacks that are made from
Spectra.
http://www.weasel.com/gear_kelty_spectra.html

I see that Dyneema is starting to be used as backpack materials as
well.
https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.co...backpacks.html

Ive several sets of sails made out of Spectra on some of my boats.
Pricey as hell. But they last a hell of a lot longer than Mylar ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailcloth

The new Dyneema sail cloth has better elongation/creep resistance,
probably do to weave and thread composition. Its gaining ground on
Spectra in leaps and bounds. More than I can afford..but the rich
guys love it.

I ran across some of this line not long ago and was interested in it

https://www.ropeinc.com/plasma-rope.html

I think we are going to see a lot more of it in use before long.

Gunner

---