Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default eliminating a 3 way switch and adding a light fixture

On Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 3:42:32 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 2:28:15 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 6:26:14 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
far easier to leave existing swich where it is!!

and run a new wire from a convenient source nearby. think a outlet.

sometimes its easier and far less work to just run a new line

Even easier to call an electrician when you don't know how
a 3 way circuit works or which wire is which. It's possible
it can be done with what he already has there, without running
any new cable.

Do you know what he wants to do? Maybe I'm missing something.

He keeps saying that he wants to remove the switch and install a fixture.
The last thing he said was:

"I want to eliminate the light switch at the right end of this line and
insert a light fixture."

Do you know *where* he plans to "insert" the light fixture? I don't.
Do you know how he plans to *control* the new fixture? I don't.

I agree he hasn't been clear. What he has now is a light fixture controlled
by a 3-way switch. My understanding is that at one of the 3-way locations
he wants to add a new light fixture and have it controlled by a regular
SPST switch at that location. What becomes of the existing light on
the 3-way is not clear. I would guess the leading possibility is that
it becomes a SPST switch to work the original light, only from that other
location.

He never said anything about *replacing* the switch or *reusing* the
switch. The words he used are "remove" and "eliminate" the switch. I'd
like to know how he plans to control the new light fixture, and from where,
before I offer any advice as to how to do it.

He said:

" I want to eliminate a 3 way switch at the end of a circuit, and install a light fixture near the switch I want to remove - at the bottom of this staircase. "

Like I said, that to me would mean that instead of a 3-way, that location
becomes a switch to control the new light and the existing light would
be controlled from the other location. But it's not totally clear.

What is clear to me is that he should call an electrician, or at least
a friend knowledgeable enough.