Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - No Car Choice

On 05/03/17 14:21, Tim+ wrote:
tim... wrote:

"TheChief" wrote in message
news
Hi all

I have been looking at cars today with a view to replacing my
aging Focus.
I have found that the vast majority of mid range cars are that
spawn of Satan known as diesels.

seriously?

can you really not get every step on the ladder in a choice of either petrol
or diesel

No! In the early days of the "diesel takeover" manufacturers offered a
choice of engines on most models but increasingly it's diesel, diesel,
diesel and maybe one sporty petrol.

Tim

Rather the opposite IME - I just got a Hyundai Tucson and there are no
decent petrol options. The "sporty" version is a 2l diesel lump. And
it's not very efficient either, compared to my old VW.

I do very low milage so the other attributes of the car sold it to me
with MPG being a low priority - especially getting 10% off just for
working for a certain employer (The Affinity programme, if anyone's
interested - large discounts for about 100+ employers: Higher Ed (me),
EE, Onestop,... it's a long list).

There's no reason they couldn't sell a big petrol version - I think the
same model has a 2l petrol in the USA.

So something about the EU has encouraged the manufacturers to do this -
and I don't think it can be all down to consumers.

For a long time diesels were encourage by UK Gov - partly as they tended
to be very efficient, and partly diesel was cheaper.

So rather than Sadiq Khan suddenly whining, they need to regulate to
encourage petrols over diesels at the point of sale rather than randomly
attacking the drivers after the fact.