Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default OT - No Car Choice

On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 16:14:00 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

If Chris Grayling wants to do something serious about car pollution, he
should *very forcefully* tighten up the MOT, *and all its testers*.

Diesel John

Of course if they really wanted to limit diesel, they would tax the
diesel, instead of taxing the car.

For those of us who do very low mileage we pay a lot on road tax and
cannot afford to own two cars - a low emissions one for local use and a
long distance one for the occasional trip

We got Mothers Aygo when she voluntary gave up driving due to age
related conditions. I had been driving her on longer journeys for a
while so it made sense that we keep it here and pick her up as
required,it might not be the coolest car to be seen in but we use it
for any short trip under around 10 miles. This means the diesel car
is not used on the sort of journey where the particulate filter never
gets hot so I hope it will resist the clogging some vehicles have
suffered from,another bonus was that the diesel being a larger more
powerful vehicle was more costly to insure but deducting all those
short journeys enabled a saving to be made on the premium by dropping
the estimated annual mileage . The Aygo is only £20 a year to tax and
goes for ages on a tank of petrol, its also surprising fun to drive
and harks back to the days when belting around in an old Mini you felt
a connection with the road and seem to be going faster than you really
are without all those traction packages etc.

G.Harman