Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
John Larkin[_4_] John Larkin[_4_] is offline

Default A useful addition to your toolkit

On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 14:48:51 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11005

Replace the existing connector with a BNC, add a bit of series resistance
and you have a *very* cheap current probe for your scope.

I have a clamp-on ammeter that pretty much does that, although it just
indicates amps, and doesn't allow waveform snooping. 60 Hz waveforms
aren't terribly interesting.

My real problem with current measurement is DC, on PC boards. We want
to know how much current, say, an FPGA is using. Sometimes I include
current shunts in a layout, but sometimes I don't.

One can use existing switcher inductors as current shunts. I wish I
had a PCB trace current probe, but that's probably not posssible. You
can measure millivolt and microvolt drops across traces and vias.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics