Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed60062 Ed60062 is offline

Default Removing corroded mounting plate for robe hook in tile shower

On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 2:44:06 PM UTC-6, dzeleznik wrote:
I have an enameled robe hook that was installed on the tiled wall inside our
shower, probably over 15 years ago. It looks like it was never designed for
damp/moist applications since the hook fell off the square mounting plate and
the plate is so corroded as to be an unrecognizable rusted mass. I can sort of
make out where one mounting screw is, but that is about it. I've taken a wire
brush to it to try, but that has not yielded anything new in terms of
identifying how it is mounted or how I could remove it. It does look like it
was screwed on top of the tile, which means that any mounting holes were
drilled through the tile and into the wall. I sprayed PB Blaster on the one
screw head I can sort of make out, but there is really no head left that I
could even use a screwdriver on if it works. Thinking about using some kind of
cutoff disc to just slice it off if I can. The plate is about 2" square.

Any thoughts or ideas on how I can get this corroded mess removed with minimal
damage? Am I just going to have to remove the surrounding tiles and then
replace them

TIA!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1126165-.htm

Is it possible the screws actually came from the back side holding the hook to the mounting plate and that the mount was cemented to the tile?