Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default Is 80gms paper getting thinner?

On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 12:53:47 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 1 March 2017 19:56:09 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 11:04:50 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

On Sunday, 26 February 2017 01:11:22 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 10:40:15 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 23 February 2017 01:15:53 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 10:34:42 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

So why count them at all , why not just guess.

Because I'd be out by a huge margin.

I can understand that what with you head butting things because you don't know how high they are.

So you can pick up a lump of paper and say "there are about 150 sheets here"?

I can do that without a micrometer.
Why not gove them a new ream and say there;s about 200 sheets there, or just take about 75% from the pack and say there;s about 150 sheets.
Would we remain in the EU if you didn;lt guess right, what disaster would happen if you gave someone 140 sheets rather than 150 ?

A micrometer is easier.

Your 50mm = 500 sheets = 1 ream exactly, so that's fine.

except it measures 54cm and there's a few pages short

54cm?!

sorry meant 54mm
try measuring a ream of paper.

My reams are 50mm. Depends on the gsm and quality I guess.

So not much point in using sich a measurement for counting sheets then.
But if someone a stack of paper measuring Xmm your method would work.

My reams are always 50mm.

yeah sure so there;s no gaps between the pages.

Why would there be?

So the micrometer is a quite accurate way of quickly counting.

well if you must have a way of accuratly counting, strange that this method isnl;t used for counting cash, yuo'd have though if it's that accurate.

Counting cash must be exact, not even one out. I never said I needed that.

So is 8% accuracy OK ?

Where are you getting 8% from?

4mm is about 8% of 50mm

Not sure how accuratly you need to count out 200 pages
is +/- 16 pages OK

Yes.

So how accurate do you need to be in selection 150 sheets ..

140-160 would be fine.

So why worry enough to use a micrometer ?

It's for quickness, not accuracy. How else would you count 150 sheets?

I wouldn't.

There must be a reason you can think of for needing to count 150 sheets of paper. Use your imagination.

--
Old Lady - "What is that funny looking thing over there?"
Zoo Keeper - "That's a kangaroo, madam. a native of Australia,"