Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's likely to be wrong with this car?

In article ,
Mark wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
Any auto electrician should be able to test the battery, charging
system and check for high quiescent load in a matter of minutes.

I bought myself an ACT battery tester ages ago. Not cheap, but does
test a battery quickly and easily.

But now comparatively cheap
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142053137962

No idea if that is as good. The ACT principle is covered by patents?

What is does is calculate the actual capacity of the battery in amp.hrs,
which you can check against that stated on the case. Once it falls by more
than a given percentage, it is replacement time. Never known it to be
wrong. But of course with me it usually just confirms what I already knew,
with my own batteries. But handy for testing one you don't know.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.