Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default eliminating a 3 way switch and adding a light fixture

On 03/03/2017 10:37 PM, Ken Hockenberry wrote:

Eliminating the 4 way is as simple as wire nutting the travelers
together and putting a blank plate over it.
Just be sure you get the right 2 pairs to connect. Connect one from
each cable to one from the other cable.

That would certainly eliminate the 4 way switch, but it doesn't address his request
to add a fixture "using these 4 wires".

It's not clear to me how he wants to control the new fixture. Is it supposed to be a stand
alone fixture with it's own switch or does he want it to come on when he uses the
other 3-ways that we are assuming are currently present. I think we need a little more
info.

Thank you for your help

Here is my diagram - as best I can lay it out:

Light ------------ Light ------------ Light
Switch Switch

I want to eliminate the light switch at the right end of this line and insert a light fixture.

When I removed the light switch at the end of the run, I found 4 blue wires.
One of these blue wires had black tape on it.
I want to know how to wire the the light fixture in this location (near bottom of steps into the basement).

Thanks again for your help.

You should be able to do that. The wire with the black tape on it is the
"hot" wire.

The possible problem is that there is not necessarily a "cold" wire in
the junction box on the right. The bulb's return should not go to "ground."