Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Will RF output (transmitter) be the same wattage as audio output?

"IF you double the voltage into double the load, the CURRENT stays the same.

But double the voltage at the same current is TWICE the power.

Power = V x I "

I had that down before I had pubic hair. The way you worded it was the subject of my comment.

"** Its about 2.5kV for a 6L6GC. "

According to http://www.radiostation.ru/tubes/6L6GC-GE.pdf you are really pushing it. But then IIRC, that plate voltage is at quiescence and can go double. They were not rated like transistors. A transistor might say "1,000 volts" and at 1,175.3 volts it shorts out. Seems like they EXPECTED alot of voltage on tubes.

However there are limits on other components of course, and an audio circuit is not quite like an LOPT. (actually that is closer to the OP than our digression, but then this is SER so that is expected) But to bring up the LOPT, or HOT over here, that does operate in class C. Most RF outputs of course operate in class C. That is a whole different world.

Plate dissipation doesn't mean ****, it is just a matter of peak current and peak voltage, which when they don't happen at the same time are of course much easier to deal with.

"** FFS the wire melts, bits come off and create shorts. "

I am in the "WTF was I thinking" mode now. At my young age, I guess I could say I have forgotten more about electronics than many know. That is one of the most simple concepts but yet it slipped my mind. Of course when the wires melt they go out of whack and cause problems. I got too used to transistors. You can talk about some layer in a MOSFET breaking down and causing some weird leakage or some ****, but this is mechanical. The real problem is I must be losing it because I am from a car family.

Really, I have out-trouble shot the factory guys and I can give you two examples. One was the "bulletproof" 2.5 L that ran like ****. The books all said it had timing gears and therefore would not jump time. Therefore the crank sensor was what the book said. But after I saw the **** blowing back through the throttle body I said "Tear down for timing chain", a part that the DEALERSHIP said it did not have. I was right. The dealership, after the guy paid the diagnostic said "replace engine". Instead my buddy got off with a hundred bucks ort whatever for timing irons.

Another notable thing was my ex-lawyer's pickenup truck. (he got disbarred, go figure) It was some sort of Datsun or something but he wanted to keep it. Now this guy was no dumbass, as a matter of fact he pretty much built his own house. Ad he was not dumb when it came to cars either but this had him stumped.

The problem was that at random intervals it would run like ****, and I mean not be able to get out of its own way run like ****.

The problem we traced down was about a Woodruff key i n the crankshaft. He had had the timing belt replaced not long before and apparently (and a machinist verified this) that apparently the mechanic who did the job lost the original Woodruff key which was metric.

Well he could not get a metric one so put in a USian replacement, which was loose. Over a short time it sheared because it was direct from the crank to the damper. This system also ran the camshaft. So every once in a while it went out of phase. It DID take some doing to figure that one out but the guy had no problem with money.

The reason he wanted specifically to keep this little pickup truck had to do with the suspension. (he was smart enough for that) He had a tow bar on the front and used to tow it with his camper. He said that was the only vehicle he could find that could be easily backed up, like a trailer. After I got more information on the vehicle I thinki I found out why.

It had linear torsion bar suspension. Unlike those old Dodges that had crossbar suspension, (which really wasn't all that bad) cars like the Caddilac Eldoado and the Olds Toronado had the torsion bars going front to back. They had special rims and if you look at the book they were set to (or could be) zero toe in, zero caster, zero camber.

He told me that this was the only thing he could tow that he could back up with. All other vehicles jacknifed. Start backing up and the steering wheel would go all the way one direction or the other. Not this one. Linear torsion bar suspension.

And it was a ****can. My Toronados had that suspension but they were suspending a 455 with almost 500 horsepower. This was four cylinder ! But he liked it so we fixed it.

By the time we got to it, the Woodruff key had worn the notch in the crank so badly that a new one would not be tight either, so we brazed it in.

Sorry to be so long but then, this is Usenet. Bottom line, if anyone thinks I'm stupid, I want know what you think of the rest of the people. I mean like that broad on the video whose boyfriend asks here "If you are doing 60 miles per hour and drive for an hour, how far have you gone ?". And she could not answer it. In fact I think some asshole somewhere called that video politically incorrect.

God damn.