Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default What's likely to be wrong with this car?

On 3/3/2017 10:07 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
8/10 of my votes are simply on a dead battery.

Take it to a garage and ask for a drop test - that will verify that one
way or another, quickly.

Next, get a volt meter that plugs in the cigarette socket (ebay, amazon,
cheap as chips).

+1. I have had a couple of vehicles which have shown these sort of
erratic symptoms, and one which still does. It's a van which only gets
intermittent use (and doesn't bleep at you if you park with the lights on).

After having to get a couple of the lads at Wickes to bump start me
after I had loaded half a ton of ballast in it, my fix is to carry one
of these all the time:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLOUREON-1...AOSwp5JWbVe z

Even my wife can use it! Usually at Sainsburys though.

Also handy as it will recharge a mobile or satnav even when parked up.

Drive and if it doesn't get to at least 14V your alternator (or wiring)
has a problem.