Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's likely to be wrong with this car?

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 18:59:08 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

Here are the facts:

snip

8. The battery is fairly new.

Until that point I was going to say knackered batteyr and cold.
Batteries these days sometimes have a hydgrometer built in. Little
sight thingy that probably shows green for OK and black for Not OK.

I'm assuming that the problem is the alternator failing to charge the
battery properly, but no. 6 is a puzzle to me.

Some one else has mentioned poor battery connections. Check those and
all the connections involving thick cables, battery to starter motor,
battery to chassis and chassis to engine block, there should be one
and probably more earth straps from engine to chassis. Try using half
a jump lead set to connect engine block to battery (chassis coonected
terminal) and see if it starts a better. Another check is to touch
each connection after you've tried and failed to start the engine,
the faulty ones will be warm if not hot...

--
Cheers
Dave.