Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Chip failure and air corrossion products

On Friday, March 3, 2017 at 3:51:17 PM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:

Thanks, we've had many an Eprom with corroded legs that are from the
70s, in some cases the legs break off inside the IC sockets when the
EPROM is removed. Also this is common on some other ICs used in the
early 80s, such as Galaga which has Namco custom ICs, where again the
legs are corroding right off them.

Is there any way to arrest the process? Be nice to have something to dip
the legs into to cancel the corrosion, similar to using white vinegar
and water (50/50) to neutralize alkaline battery leakage corrosion.

John :-#)#

The best way I have found - if at all possible - is a coat of flexible lacquer over the entirety. I admit to having a bottle of flexible fingernail polish hidden away amongst my other solvents for this sort of thing. Stop the air, stop the corrosion.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA