Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Desktop PC power supply

On Fri, 03 Mar 2017 01:46:08 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 3/3/2017 12:48 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 19:12:38 -0500, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

... HP 8200 Elite SFF desktop. ...
The input power consumption varied from 30 watts to 70 watts depending
on what the machine was doing. Eyeball average was about 50 watts.

It's highly improbable that your machine is weaker than mine, so your
50W in versus my 200W means that mine is way too high. Unless my
Kill-a-watt is wonky.

That's a possibility. I have several kill-a-watt meters. When I
upgraded to the latest greatest, I took them apart to determine the
difference.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/kill-a-watt.html
Much the same except for the clock crystal, 5 instead of 4 buttons,
different uP, and some beefier components.

However, I was having problems with erratic readings with the old
model (top photo) which I traced to marginal soldering on the AC power
connector pins and current sense "resistance wire". I resoldered
everything that looked suspicious and the problems disappeared. You
might want to disassemble yours and check for similar soldering
problems.

Incidentally, the marginal soldering in the later unit (bottom photo)
is stock. I later went through it and resoldered all the rough
conections. That's when I found that the ground pin on the AC power
plug had a cold solder connection. That should have any effect on the
readings, but it does suggest that the soldering problem might be
common.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D