Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Desktop PC power supply

On 3/3/2017 12:48 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 19:12:38 -0500, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

... HP 8200 Elite SFF desktop. ...
The input power consumption varied from 30 watts to 70 watts depending
on what the machine was doing. Eyeball average was about 50 watts.

It's highly improbable that your machine is weaker than mine, so your
50W in versus my 200W means that mine is way too high. Unless my
Kill-a-watt is wonky.

My intuition is that 2 75W light bulbs in a box could be cooled by a PSU
fan. Without flames.

I don't use light bulbs as loads (except for UPS testing). ...

I just used the light bulbs as a common example of power. I have an
intuitive feel for the power of a light bulb & if it could be kept in
limit with a fan. Not so much a ceramic power resistor.

It's kinda wonky, but not crazily so.

Well, like I suggested... something is wrong. It's unlikely that your
PS has PF correction or is highly efficient. However, it shouldn't be
as low as 13%. Something is wrong, but I can't tell where from here.

My 13% is my 54W draw versus the 400W rating of the PSU.

The PSU name plate ratings: 1200W in (10A), 400W out. I'm using 200W
in, 54W out (25% efficient). 54 / 400 = 13% rated load. But even at
12% rated load, the efficiency shouldn't be 25%.

BTW - I don't really care, I'm just curious.