Mike

Default replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles

w_tom wrote in :

Example - we earth ground a radio antenna input directly at
the radio - well less than 1 foot of wire. Radio reception is
severely diminished. We then ground same antenna input with
100 foot wire connected to same ground. Suddenly radio gets
excellent reception. Why? If wire is the perfect conductor
as so many wish, then that 100 foot wire to ground should have
also eliminated radio reception. Therein lies the reason why
so many grounds are different. They are all separated by
electronic components - ie. wire.

Bad example, and incorrect.

The 100' wire to ground would actually be used as one part of a dipole
antenna, therefore increasing the antennas signal capturing ability. The
1' ground (because of it's short length and difference in length to the
other side of the antenna lead) would basically shut down the antennas'
ability to capture a signal.

Mike