Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave M[_5_] Dave M[_5_] is offline

Default Tariffs and Taxes on China orders from Ebay.

I have been ordering stuff from China for a few years, anything from $1 to
~$120 or more, and have never had to pay any tariffs or taxes. And most of
the stuff from China comes with free shipping.

Cheers,
Dave M

analogdial wrote:
micky wrote:

I'm told the same thing, that China subsidizes the postage (or maybe
justn't charge?) and I'm told that receiving countries are not
allowed to charge postage, on mail or packages, I guess.

" In 1969, the UPU introduced a new system of payment where fees were
payable between countries according to the difference in the total
weight of mail between them. These fees were called terminal dues.
Ultimately, this new system was fairer when traffic was heavier in one
direction than the other. As a matter of example, in 2012, terminal
dues for transit from China to the USA was 0.635 SDR/kg, or about 1
USD/kg.[10]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union