Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default WiFi Question

On 3/2/2017 11:27 PM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
newshound was thinking very hard :
FWIW I have found the ring main units slow and unreliable. I can get
pretty much full speed (40 MB/S) with a wifi extender. I have two
cottages with a 2 to 3 foot wall in between (including the chimney
breast). There is a doorway knocked through, not line of site, but
signal diffuses / diffracts through it well enough. The master and
slave are both on the first floor, this provides coverage downstairs
and to the second floor above the extender. I had a fancy netgear
extender but this died after a few years, now I have a budget TP-link
one.

A 'cottage' suggests somewhere which maybe doesn't have many other wifi
signals to contend with. It is very different when there are lots of
other signals around, swamping the wanted one.

To be honest, I have never tried the mains units.

I can see the one from next door, and usually at least three from across
the road. They are well down on signal of course. I have no reason to
suppose they cause significant interference, I get much the same speed
cabled to the main router as on WiFi through the extender.