Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default WiFi Question

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 21:05:52 -0000, NY wrote:

in my experience is more likely to suffer from lockups or gradual
degradation of communication speed, requiring the wifi device in the PC
to be disabled/re-enabled or even rebooted.

Yep, phone sometimes doesn't want to play WiFi, have to restart the
phone. Even then it will drop and reconnect, signal strength is fine.
Only phone has problems.

In terms of wireless range, you should be OK with internal walls and
floors, though it depends whether the solid floor is reinforced concrete
- the reinforcing bars might attenuate the signal.

Agreed, if the OP hasn't tried WiFi in the proposed position it would
be worth a quick test with a phone or WHY. If the PC hasn't got WiFi
but does have a PCI slot I have an unused PCI WiFi card doing nothing
(bought for a PC that only has PCIe slots, doh!). It's a 2 aerial
MIMO and can accept extension aerials to get them out of hiding round
the back.

... the 2.4 GHz wifi band is only available because it is a frequency at
which water molecules resonate, ...

It is a resonant frequency of something but I don't think it's the
water molecule, perhaps the OH bond. Microwave ovens take advantage
of this resonance/absorption.

OK. I was simplifying slightly. Yes, to be strictly accurate it's one of the
resonant modes of the OH bond, though I forget which. Other fluids such as
alcohol which also have an OH bond may cause similar attenuation :-)

... so broadcast signals will not travel long distances through rain.

Try telling the 2.4 GHz point to point links that are here that. One
is 6 km the other only 4 km. Another site has around 20 km and 15 km.
Rain, hill fog, snow or all three didn't stop 'em working.

Do they use 2.4 GHz? I'd assumed/read somewhere that they didn't use a
resonant frequency of water for that very reason, and that 2.4 was only
available because no-one (eg military, broadcast) could use it for anything
else long-distance. On the other hand, with a dish aerial to concentrate the
available power into a narrower beam, maybe water attenuation can be
overcome sufficiently to transfer a usable signal at 20 km range.