Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WiFi Question

On 02/03/17 20:12, DerbyBorn wrote:
Daughter is trying to use WiFi instead of a wire travelling up the
stairs.
Sky WiFi hub thing is downstairs - a PC used for work is upstairs - a
wall
and solid floor get in the way.

What should she consider - and Extender that appears to boost the
signal or
a system that uses two 13amp plug in things to use the house wiring?

Try a better Wifi device on the PC first. Often the card based ones put
the antenna on the back so it is screened from the house Wifi signal!

I've found the "two 13amp plug in things" to be slightly more reliable.

+1

Although I have a cat 5 physical line from upstairs to downstairs that
runs down the back of a fitted wardrobe and emerges behind the TV.

The 13A ethernet makes my printer accessible and feeds internet radio. I
haven't had any bother from it and it even works in an unfiltered
extension socket.

But nothing beats Cat 5. (Except cat 6 apparently)

I don't find Wifi all that unreliable apart from in regions of the house
shielded by 3' solid stone walls. They really do stop Wifi.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown