Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Desktop PC power supply

In article ,
says...

On 3/2/2017 10:50 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I don't have a Kill-O-Watt but do have a meter similar to it. That one
reads out Volts, Amps,and Watts. I have noticed that if I hookit to a
resistive load like a heat gun the volts and amps are very close to the
watts. If I hook it to a reactive load there is a big difference in the
Watts vers the volts times amps. That I understand.

I have not paid any attention to a switching supply that way. Is it
possiable the the watts and the V times I are not the same for your
meter ?

I assumed that the Kill-a-watt does true rms, but possibly not.

I did hook up the meter I have and the volts times amps was showing 120
watts but the power in watts was showing about 75 watts when hooked to a
switching power supply. Did not measure the output to the load.