Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Desktop PC power supply

On 3/2/2017 7:34 PM, whit3rd wrote:
Unless your machine is a loud-fans-and-multiple-XEONs type, 54W is a likely
power draw, and 200W is unlikely.

Very modest machine. And I'm much more confident about the output
measurements.

It is possible (on old Apple computers, it's common) to repair a dead power
supply. They're cramped and sometimes have unlabeled tiny chips, but
a check for burst capacitors and shorted rectifiers, and of course fuses, will often
bring 'em back to life.

If you find shorted power FETs, be aware that there's a gate drive which might
have failed, too; those repairs get complicated.

I did actually try to repair the old one. I don't remember many
specifics except that when I got a big spark and a burned trace I gave up.