Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default WiFi Question

On 3/2/2017 11:02 PM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
DerbyBorn was thinking very hard :
Daughter is trying to use WiFi instead of a wire travelling up the
stairs. Sky WiFi hub thing is downstairs - a PC used for work is
upstairs - a wall and solid floor get in the way.

What should she consider - and Extender that appears to boost the
signal or a system that uses two 13amp plug in things to use the house
wiring?

The 13amp units are likely to be more reliable, especially if both are
on the same ring circuit.

I struggle to get wifi to work, through two wooden floors here, in part
due to the sheer number of other wifi signals around me. I did once work
well, in the early wifi days, now I have to have two wifi access points
- the main broadband router on the top floor, where the phone cable
comes in - then a second one on the ground floor, linked to the other
via a wired LAN. Middle floor can access either of the two wifi AP's.

FWIW I have found the ring main units slow and unreliable. I can get
pretty much full speed (40 MB/S) with a wifi extender. I have two
cottages with a 2 to 3 foot wall in between (including the chimney
breast). There is a doorway knocked through, not line of site, but
signal diffuses / diffracts through it well enough. The master and slave
are both on the first floor, this provides coverage downstairs and to
the second floor above the extender. I had a fancy netgear extender but
this died after a few years, now I have a budget TP-link one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017YPKZ...767431_TE_dp_1