Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default WiFi Question

DerbyBorn wrote:
Daughter is trying to use WiFi instead of a wire travelling up the stairs.
Sky WiFi hub thing is downstairs - a PC used for work is upstairs - a wall
and solid floor get in the way.

What should she consider - and Extender that appears to boost the signal or
a system that uses two 13amp plug in things to use the house wiring?

If the floor construction is too opaque to wifi signals then a booster
will need careful placement to have much effect. eg it would work best
half way up the staircase where it is likely to be in range of both up
and downstairs without passing through the floor.

The powerline units are the marmite of networking products. For most
people they just work but anyone interested in medium/long or shortwave
radio listening they are a curse due to the huge amount of interference
they cause.
I have an application where powerline is about the only solution and
I've been using them for years BUT they do not last. The design of the
circuitry tends to be very marginal and don't like being powered up all
the time. I am repairing my every year or so and not all of them are
repairable (by me).
I'm just about to try a different brand (TP link) that I've heard good
things about to replace the netgear ones (XE102)