Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to disassemble Shure SM58 with wireless UT2 transmitter.

David Farber wrote:

I have an intermittent Shure wireless UT2 mic/transmitter. The user said
that tapping on the mic when it wasn't working would restore its operation
but now even that doesn't help. I would like to have look inside but I don't
see a simple way of opening it. I removed the windscreen and there is a
label that says, "Caution do not attempt to open or turn. Warranty will be
voided." I wanted to know if turning the microphone will damage the wiring
going to it or if that warning is just telling you to, "Keep out!."

** Hang on a mo - you are trying to take apart the Cartridge Assembly - right ?

1. Put the wind shield back on.

2. Run the transmitter and see if it outputs a carrier.

3. If 2 is OK, connect an audio signal ( via a cap) to the "AUD IN" terminal on the transmitter and see if you can hear it coming out the receiver.

4. If 4 is OK, the capsule is the problem.

5. There is an SMD board that is a pre-amp for the SM58 capsule - removing it is tricky but IIRC the capsule is attached to it.

Shure consider it to be non repairable, but you may as well have a go if it is the problem. In your case it might be a bad solder joint on the 58 capsule itself.

..... Phil