Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default How to disassemble Shure SM58 with wireless UT2 transmitter.

Phil Allison wrote:
David Farber wrote:

I have an intermittent Shure wireless UT2 mic/transmitter. The user
said that tapping on the mic when it wasn't working would restore
its operation but now even that doesn't help. I would like to have
look inside but I don't see a simple way of opening it. I removed
the windscreen and there is a label that says, "Caution do not
attempt to open or turn. Warranty will be voided." I wanted to know
if turning the microphone will damage the wiring going to it or if
that warning is just telling you to, "Keep out!."

I found some disassembly instructions here that did not mention
anything about "turning" the mic as dangerous.

https://shure.custhelp.com/app/answe...ies-and-others

** The head screws off easily and holds the mic capsule, normally an
SM58.

The main electronics are trapped under a large C-clip:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTU0OFgxNjAw/z/EMkAAOSwUuFWxVdj/$_1.JPG

The instructions you cited seem accurate but may well be not needed.

COS you have NOT said if just the audio cuts out or the RF carrier
stops.

You do have the receiver, don't you ?

More info please.

.... Phil

Hi Phil,

I have the UT4 receiver. The green power l.e.d. illumintates on both the mic
and the receiver but neither of the antenna receiver lights (A or B)
illuminate. The mute switch on the mic seems a little wonky. There is a lot
resistance (physical) moving it to the mute position and almost no
resistance moving it back to the "on" position. Does enabling the mute
switch turn off the RF?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber