Bob M.

Default Engine dies when mower deck is turned on

The engine ignition system should be completely separate from any generator
system they'd use to power the electric clutch. Most small engines use a
magneto ignition system that relies on magnets in the flywheel to move past
a coil to generate the spark voltage. Sometimes they will add a large coil
of wire around the flywheel and let the same magnets generate auxiliary
power to charge a battery or run headlights and the like.

If you have a voltmeter available, can you put it across the battery and
check the voltage with the engine running at a high idle, so it's charging
the battery. You should get 13-15 volts DC there. Then engage the clutch and
see what happens. If all is well, the voltage should remain there. If not,
then it's time to do more snooping.

Bob
====
"Daryl Helwig" wrote in message
m...
This is an addition to a reply that I posted a few minutes ago.

I just started the engine with a spark tester attached from the plug
wire to the plug. When running the spark looks very weak and when I
trun on the mower switch the spark disappears and the engine dies.
Hmmmmm. What does this point to?

"CBHvac" wrote in message

Black smoke is a fuel issue, running too rich,