Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default Releasign Threadlocker w/o Wrecking Heat Treat?

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 07:47:35 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I believe that Loctite states that the temperature limits of Loctite
"blue" is -65F to 300F. But a bit more reading shows that this is the
"improved" version so it is possible that a pistol assembled 38 years
ago might have been assembled with something with lower temperature
limits.

In another life back in that time frame, I had a business building
racing motorcycle engines. Loctite was/is the standard thread locker
for cylinder studs.

The base of a mud-encrusted motocross engine could easily reach 400
deg.

Some engines used stretch, single use studs. When it came time for a
rebuild, I bolted the cases together and put them in an oven at 450
deg. I could shake the shrink-fit ball bearings out but it took vice
grips to remove the studs. The Loctite was softened but certainly not
broken down.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com