Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Amazing Chinese forging video

Lufkin Industries here in town used to make lots of gears from scratch.
The biggest one I saw on a truck was on a special heavy duty truck that
their truck division (put out of work by another company using prison
workers) used to make Lufkin Trailers and some of those were custom.

The trailer/gear was oversized. It was for a cargo ship that snapped
a couple teeth off. It was in a gear box that took power from a monster
engine. The trailer was almost two lanes wide. Foundry poured it and
then the special vertical lathes cleaned it up then to the
precision hob shop and balance after that. The Gear box shop fixed
boxes for air handlers to monster stuff.

They are no longer around - GE bought them with a promise to put
millions into the plant. Several months later the contents were for
sale. Ge thanks killing the last Big industry in town GE. I think the
gear shop is still open - balancing and repair. New York division shut
down this year. Alabama has some the last I heard. Lufkin Pumps were
half the size as the typical pump. Many are in the LA basin and Texas
basins.....

Large paper mill, Texas Foundry, Lufkin Industries to name a few.

Martin

On 2/27/2017 2:03 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 08:29:31 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 8:43:58 AM UTC-5, Ignoramus22750 wrote:

I think "we" went into pouring the form and then machine out the final.

But cast is not as strong as forged, no?

Cast is not as strong as forged.

I can still remember seeing anchor chain being drop forged in the navy shipyard in Boston in about 1954 or 1955.

Dan

Theres big presses and little presses

https://goo.gl/photos/SSfbczRwjsEtCwyN7

https://goo.gl/photos/hEKGca9vzDenPvwU9