Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default Releasign Threadlocker w/o Wrecking Heat Treat?

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 09:11:15 +0700, John B.
wrote:

[200 lines of junk deleted]

Generally speaking, any substance used as a thread locker would
probably soften by the time it reaches, say 200 degrees F. And again,
generally speaking, a thread locker probably wouldn't be very soluble
in various solvents.

Since ordinary blue Locktite is used to set engine studs in air-cooled
engines, probably not. Probably closer to 400 deg.

I think my first attempt would be by heating the bolt in boiling
water, keep it boiling until you are sure that the bolt actually
reaches ~212 degrees.

Predict a waste of time. First thing I'd do is give the ring a visual
using the most powerful magnification I had. I'd be looking for
corrosion as much as thread locker, given the age. I'd try a really
good penetrator such as Kroil or Knock'em (Kroil knockoff).

Another point RC 60 is pretty hard stuff. For a .22 pistol I would
suggest that if it is that hard it is probably for something other
than strength.

If the penetrant doesn't work then I'd plan on heating until
looseness, followed by heat treatment after removal and cleanup.
Templaq and a heat gun will work fine for the heat treating.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com