Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Tommy MacDonald's new shop

On 2/25/2017 1:59 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/23/2017 10:49 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/22/2017 4:35 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:08:44 -0800 (PST)
MJ wrote:

While, Tommy is no Norm, he does some interesting projects, he's

who is he

A TV woodworker that appeals wimmin of all sexes...

and what does it mean to say that he is no norm

I think it means he doesn't use a nail gun to assemble everything.
He does use glue though, tons of it, dripping over everything, including
his hands, workbenches, work pieces...

Over the years, 30+, of woodworking I have learned to apply the right
amount of glue. I typically use just enough to see a slight bit of
squeeze out. Anything past that is a total waste.
I think a woodworker that had glue dripping everywhere is simply one
that has not learned to be efficient. Using too much glue not only
creates a mess but is a big waste of time. And like most anything else
wasted time is costly.

Right. The funny part is he often espouses not to use too much glue
immediately before using too much glue. I think he knows what he's
doing, unlike Scott Phillips, but I doubt he does much work, spends most
of his time at the Gym, has flunkies doing the work. Don't know if thats
true, just my take, my contribution to the fake news, so to speak..

As far as using a nail gun, if you are doing this type work to sell
profitably, a nail gun is a big time saver. There is hardly a project
that I do that I do not use my pinner. As Norm ust'a say, to hold the
pieces until the glue dries. It is just smarter to use a pinner if it
eliminates having to use a clamp and you don't see the pin.

Nail guns have their place, but rarely needed in a cabinet shop. I
built cabinets for over 35 years without a nail gun, and never missed
it. I still use it only rarely. Even for jigs, I generally would
rather use screws. Sometimes for outdoor stuff, almost never for
cabinets. I often thought it would be cool for cabinet backs, but nope,
I'd rather use regular nails or screws. Clamps are are where it's at for
cabinet work imo.

I do like the nail gun for picture frame glue ups and some trim work,
but Norm always seemed to nail every damn thing in sight, like a frame
carpenter would. Other than the nail gun crap, Norm was OK.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com