Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default Saved by polymorph....

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 1:43:16 PM UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 02:26:40 -0800 (PST), Adam Aglionby
wrote:

Whilst I understand they can ... and we have a roll of ABS on the
shelf, we haven only ever used PLA so far.

http://shop.3dfilaprint.com/

Bookmarked (although we generally buy off eBay).

TBH buy anywhere with best price ;-) Filaprint is reasonable for price, just used as an example of range of materials.

You also have control to print them solid (100%) down to 5% (honeycomb

https://www.technologyoutlet.co.uk/c...ant=4410312453

Looks a good price for an OOTB solution and only showing how the
prices have been coming down.

In line with UK DIY practice , what persuaded me on Wanhao is Aldi Australia have had them as the Coccoon Create before, with Aldi`s attitude to warranty reckoned wouldn`t be total junk.

Rigidity much improved by Z brace, printed brackets and 8mm threaded rod to create triangle at front of machine, like bracing on your Mendel.

I was watching something on Youtube where the guy was discussing a
Pruser i3 and said it couldn't really be called a Rep Rap machine
because few of the parts could be made by the machine itself.

Always wondered about the RepRap purists , what eaxctly were they going to print hot ends and steppers with ;-)

Josef Prusa is the guy who designed the i3 and open sourced it , hence lot of Chinese variations like Wanhao. Even so about 6 week wait for kit version of Prusa i3 , he has over 300 Prusa i3 running 24/7 making the parts for Prusa i3

http://www.prusa3d.com

Technology Outlet have a good reputation, other vendors abound.

Thanks. It's good to get a recommendation of / for a UK supplier.

The x-carriage on our MendelMax is printed in ABS (the only thing on
there that is) and was designed for dual (direct drive) extruders.
Because I believe they increase the mass of the x axis to above that
of the Y ... and we have never had both extruders in action, I think
I'm going to modify the carriage by adding an ally plate to:
re-position the single extruder in the middle, to distribute the
weight centrally over the carriage and create more of a heatsink for
the cold-end (rather than relying on the extruder body fan).

The ABS is good as it is more flexible than PLA and we use it with the
X-carriage just sitting on the X-rod bearings, making it very easy to
lift off and disconnect even two extruders for maintenance etc.

One of the issues with the original Prusa was the lack of rigidity in
the frame, especially in the Y plane (meaning if you moved it you
might have to re-calibrate it) but that Wanhao i3 looks pretty rigid.

It doesn't look quite so easy to work on (especially the x-carriage)
as can be seen here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZJyWjoseI8). ;-)

Thin alloy y carriage is a known issue with all the cheap i3s , replaced it with a dibond one :

http://tehnologika.net/Wanhao-duplic...-plate-reprap/

works a treat.

Cheers, T i m