Mr. Scratch

Default YIKES! Water heater problem!

Okay...my electric water heater stopped working this morning. I know
nothing about water heaters, but figured I'd at least take a look at it to
see if there were any obvious problems. I opened up the top panel,
noticed a red "reset" button, and thought "Ah! Maybe my water heater just
needed to be "reset!""

Well, when I pushed the button, all hell broke loose; Sparks all over
the place, smoke boiling out of the insulation like there was a party of
cuban cigar afficionados lounging around inside, even a few flames
shooting out. It was like a miniature 4th of July. I scrambled back to
the breaker box, and shut it all off.

Now, obviously I'm less than happy, but I haven't a clue what just
happened. Is my water heater ruined? What should I do?

-Scratch